Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Reminiscing

I remember my first paid Photography "job."  I was working as a photographer for the college newspaper, and loved what I did.  I got sent out on all types of journalism assignments, shot photographs of major and minor events, students, teachers, etc.

I was sitting at my desk, editing some images(we shot film back then, so the whole process of editing was significantly different than it is now) when I got a call.  It was an art director for a major magazine out of New York.

Phone rings
Hello, this is Ramon
Hi Ramon, are you the head photographer?
I am.  Who am I speaking with?
Ramon my name is xxx, I'm the Art Director for xxx Magazine.  I need your help.
Oh ok.  Great.  What can I do for you?


The AD went on to explain how his magazine set people up for blind dates, did before and after interviews, and needed a photographer to tail the couple throughout their time together.  It was to take place two hours from then, and he needed a last minute photographer to step in.

That was my first paid photography job.

I knew nothing of pricing, invoices, etc.  As a matter of fact, my invoice was handwritten on a sheet of paper on the counter of the post office when I sent off my rolls of film.

Since then, I've worked on projects both large and small.  National, International, and Local.  All over the Southeastern United States and Caribbean.

Yet I never forget that first job.  That excitement, nervousness, that pride.

If I could go back and do it all over again...would I?

Absolutely!

What advice would I give myself?

For that first job, charge more.  :)  For my career...gain a thorough understanding of business matters much earlier, and build your network.

I'll keep reminiscing, and keep pushing forward, but I take great pride in every job I shoot...that pride I felt my first job, I feel every job.  And I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment