Friday, January 15, 2016

Why Photography

I never had any intentions of being a photographer.  In fact, I had never even considered photography, as late as my first day of my senior year of high school.  I wanted to be an architect.

I loved studying the designs and motivations of Frank Lloyd Wright, the Bauhaus Architecture movement, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and so on.  The thought of conceptualizing something, combining your creativity with scientific like precision kept me dreaming.

I would dream of seeing my contribution to Chicago's skyline.  I wanted to make something that would last throughout time.  There was one problem; while I have always been very smart, I've never been a good student.

I remember my first day of my senior year.  I had a couple of gym classes, English, a social studies class, and...one more.  There weren't many electives that took my attention.  Aside from sports, I wasn't really into much more.  I had already taken drafting classes, and there wasn't really much else in that regard.  I didn't want to take drama, or any other ridiculous class, but, alas, I needed one more elective, so, I just looked at the schedule, and, reluctantly, picked out...photography.



I walked into the photography lab with a positive attitude.  I thought it would be cool, but really knew nothing about it.  The teacher in the first week taught us about darkroom chemicals and processes, techniques, and the like.  We had to go out and buy a camera, so I did just that.  And then the addiction started.

The moment I picked up a camera, aimed it at something, with the intention of capturing the beauty of this world as I see it, I knew, for a fact, this was what I wanted.  Scratch that.  This was what I needed.  It became a physical need to me, much like breathing, or eating.  I lived photography.  I still do.

As I think back to how I discovered my love for photography, I think to the world we leave ahead of us.  What if the next generation doesn't have the opportunity to discover their love for the arts, whether it be music, photography, painting, drawing etc, because schools are underfunded?  You see it everywhere...schools left and right are left unfunded, with no other option than to cut extracurricular activities, cut back on things like drama, band, sports, and arts.  These are highly essential, not just for our children's minds, but also for their development.  We cannot allow this to happen.

***For my work, click here***

It is so important, now, more than ever, that we as artist unite to make sure our society begins to place an emphasis and appreciation on the arts once again.  Our society needs it.

What are your suggestions to help preserve the arts for future generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment